OverDrive Audio and eBooks
Have you tried OverDrive yet? If not, I highly recommend it. It’s a service available through the library website that lets you check out audio and e-books. You can listen to or read them on your phone, computer, ipod, or e-reader. Now let’s get down to business. How do I get to OverDrive, you may be wondering. Well, let me tell you.
1. Head to the library homepage. Hover over eLibrary and OverDrive will be the first link on the list. After you click on it, you’ll be taken to the Metro Library OverDrive homepage.
2. Next you’ll need to log in. That’s up in the right hand corner.
3. You’ll need to choose your library first.
4. After that, enter your library card number and your PIN. If you’re not sure about your PIN, check here for more info.
Are you there? Congrats! You’re ready to start browsing.
You can use the links along the left side of the page to narrow things down by genre. If you’re looking for some YA materials, there is a YA Audiobook Fiction category.
From this screen, you can search just the YA materials. Tip: If you’re only interested in available materials, check the “Only show titles with copies available” box and hit search.
You can check out four titles at a time for either one or two weeks. Let’s do a quick rundown of how to check out an audiobook and download it to your computer.
1. First, you’ll need the OverDrive software (or app). You can download it here. Just choose your device and hit DOWNLOAD NOW. If you choose a mobile device, you’ll be directed to the app.
2. Once you get done with that, find a book you’d like to read or listen to. Tip: Choose your format carefully. If there are two different files (.wma/.mp3), be sure to pick one that is compatible with your device. For example, if you have a Mac, don’t try to download any .wma books. It won’t work. Since I have a Mac, I’m going to be sure to choose the .mp3 option.
3. The next screen will be your cart. From there, proceed to the checkout.
4. From this screen you can choose the length of time you want to check out the item. Once you’re ready, confirm check out. This screen also tells you how many items you have checked out and how many more you’ll be able to check out after the current item.
5. Download your book. You’ll have to hit OK a few times, but it’s pretty self explanatory.
6. The OverDrive console will open up and you will be able to listen to the book from your computer or transfer it to another device. Tip: If you download the book onto your computer and transfer it to your iPod, the book will stay there until you delete it. With the OverDrive app, the book will disappear after your specified time is up. Last but not least, enjoy your audio book.
The procedures for e-books are pretty much the same up until you’ve checked out the book. For questions and tutorials for downloading to other devices, OverDrive has a pretty awesome help center. Tip: Check out the My Help category if you wondering about how to get started with your particular device for audio or e-books.
Hopefully, this is enough to get you started. If you haven’t tried audiobooks before, give it a shot! If you’ve got an e-reader or the Kindle app, check out some books instead of buying them.